Friday 10 January 2014

That Time of Year

It’s that quiet time of year again. The chaos of Christmas and welcoming in the new year has passed and there are a few weeks before normal life starts all over again. It’s the time of year when I usually take the time to look back over what the previous year was, and look forward to what the coming year can be.

All in all, 2013 was a good year for me. I can look back and be happy. There were big changes, which I don’t usually handle very well, so the fact that I remember the year as happy means I coped just fine.

Country bears catching up with the City cousins
Now the question is, what about 2014? I don’t make New Year’s resolutions – gave that up a long time ago. I realised that just because a new year had started didn’t mean I was magically going to find the discipline, motivation, time, mindset or any of the other tools that I would need but had not managed to find at any other time of the year. I mean, really, what makes the start of a new year any different?

The start of a new year is just an arbitrary line we have made in the sand. There is nothing intrinsically special about it. When it actually occurs is different depending on who you are – a follower of the Gregorian calendar, or the Islamic calendar, or any of the other calendars out there, or an accountant. Despite all this, there is a commonality – with all of these calendars, it's like everything from last year gets wiped clean and starts afresh. That even goes for the accountant – is zero-based budgeting still around?

Easter bunnies just around the corner
from the on-sale Lindt bears!
But wiping the slate clean doesn’t mean I’m going to change. I will still have an addiction to chocolate (in fact that is usually made worse around this time of year, due mainly to Lindt chocolate Christmas bears being on special for $1 at Target). I will still be unable to run (I’ve tried to do the C25K program at least 3 times – maybe I’ll try again this year, using a new app on my phone – that might make all the difference!). I will still HATE housework (the only time I could deal with it was when I had a cleaner).

As a result, there is no point in me making those resolutions that are standard for most people – lose weight, get fit, get the house looking reasonable. As for that most important resolution of all – not work so hard and spend more time with family – I’m retired, for goodness sake, how can I work less?

Healthy lunches of chocolate,
wine and coffee!
This year will be no different to last year. I will make a list of the things I want to do and be, make a plan for how I will try to tick those things off the list, and know that at this time next year, I will be doing the same thing again. But as I said, last year was a good one for me. I’m hoping that 2014 will be a good one too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...